“I just don’t see how non-white characters would fit into my book. All the characters in my head are white.”
I see this excuse as a crisis of imagination. Particularly if you’re writing SF, often set in a future when anything can change. When everything can be different than it is now. We’ve already seen our first black president. We’ve seen women in ever more powerful roles. Gays and lesbians are coming out in nearly every corner of society, and universal marriage equality is becoming more and more imaginable.
You can’t imagine a black genetic engineer as your main character? An Hispanic lesbian piloting a starship? Then your imagination needs some revamping. You need to start thinking outside the box. Open up your corner of the world to more possibilities.”
Karen Sandler discusses Five Wrong-Headed Reasons for Not Writing Diverse Characters in Science Fiction at Rich in Color.
Always worth restating.
- Don’t do anything to aggravate shitpost flooders.
- Avoid the tags.
- Stick with blogs you already follow.
- Did you get games from the Steam sale? Go play those!
- Chat with some friends on Skype!
- Find some dress-up or adventure flash games!
- Just avoid tags in general.
- Maybe we’ll re-flood the tags with normal/happy things in a day or two!
- Remember: Trolls feed on attention.
- That is all.
So you have your ask.
Highlight the word “block”
Right click the word block.
Click “View Selection Source”
Something like this should pop up:
Highlight the “IP” (the blacked out part).
Copy the IP address and paste it to this website:
Paste the IP address into there, press enter or “Lookup IP Address” and all the information should come up.
Anon u r in trubl
1) The "how can say you that" anon: This person takes offence to an opinion or belief you have, and tries to shame you for feeling the way you feel. This is usually the mildest form of anon hate, because the hater is actually just overly sensitive, but unfortunately they're as cowardly as they are easily offended.
2) The "he's mine" anon: This person is extremely possessive over a character or celebrity that you both happen to favour, and somehow feel like you're stealing something from them by liking their favourite. They'll attempt to discourage you from liking the character, telling you you're a bad fan/you don't understand them/your headcanons are ooc/etc. This person can't share in real life, or if they must, it stings and they do so grudgingly.
3) The "how can you ship them" anon: This person treats their OTP like a religion, and they're extremely put off by those who believe something different. They will take offence every time you post about your OTP, and some will try to discourage you from shipping them by listing reasons your OTP is stupid/wrong/impossible/etc, or hate on one half of your OTP. This person is as intolerant of others' opinions and beliefs in real life as they are on the internet, though they're too cowardly to vocalise in real life.
4) The "your blog sucks" anon: This person will take a stab at any aspect (or all aspects) of your blog, perhaps question why anyone follows you and try to bully you into deactivating, or even accuse you of being a cheap imitation of another blog. The most important thing to know about this person is that they feel inferior to you, whether or not they're aware of it, and they put you down solely to build up their own confidence.
4.5) The "YOU suck" anon: This person shares qualities with the "your blog sucks" anon, but they take it a step further by insulting the blog owner. They'll attempt to draw negative conclusions about you as a person based on your blog (or even based on nothing), and hate on anything ranging from your selfies to your nationality to your personality. Nothing is off limits for them. But just remember they do it out of inferiority. They feel like shit, so they want you to feel like shit, because as they say, misery loves company.
5) The "kill yourself" anon: This is without question the worst form of anon hate. This person may hate on you for any of the reasons stated previously, but the difference is the conclusion they draw from it; "go kill yourself", "go slit your wrists", "i hope you get raped", "i hope you die". To be honest, I can't tell you much about this sort of person because I can't even begin to understand them. But the most important thing to remember is that this person is one of two things; 200 years less evolved than the rest of society, or miserable and bored with their life. And in most cases, this person just doesn't comprehend the weight of words. SO DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES TAKE THEM SERIOUSLY. They are trying to turn you into a source of personal entertainment. Don't dance for them like a puppet on their strings.
The cure: Delete. Delete delete delete. It doesn't matter how you reply, simply replying is enough to satisfy them. There is no reply that can make them unhappy, because by publishing their message you've already made it so they've achieved their goal. The only way to disappoint them is by not replying. Not only will it disappoint them, but it will make them feel very small. Nothing is more insulting to them than being completely and utterly ignored. They'll be discouraged, and while some will keep sending hate hoping it'll stifle you eventually, just delete it. Delete it and feel the satisfaction in ruining their fun. Always, always, always delete the anon hate. That's all you need to know.